~Diario di Corte ~ Il Regno di Alexandra Borgia

Cronenberg talks about Robert - varie

« Older   Newer »
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/8/2012, 15:10

" Siamo fatti della stessa sostanza dei sogni" W. Shakespeare

Group:

'Anonymous

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2012

Cronenberg talks about casting Rob, convincing him to do 'Cosmopolis', 'Queen of the Desert' and more

290811_10151143940246023_1347987479_o%2B%25281%2529

Robert Pattinson. There were plenty of people who were a little surprised when you picked him for the role, but I have to say he gives a really sublime performance. You knew what you were doing, clearly -- so what was it that drew you to Robert?

Cronenberg:
Well, casting always starts in a very pragmatic way. It's, "Is this guy the right age for the character?" "Does he have the right sort of physique, the right screen presence?" "Is he available, and if so, can you afford him? Does he want to do it?" You know, all of those things. But then you do your homework as a director, more specifically, and you watch stuff. I watched Little Ashes, in which Rob plays a young Salvador Dali; I watched Remember Me; I watched the first Twilight movie. And I watched -- interestingly enough, I suppose, because people wouldn't expect it -- but you watch interviews with the guy on YouTube, you know. I want to get an idea of his sense of humor, his sense of himself, the way he handles himself, his intelligence -- all of those things you can't really tell from watching an actor play a role in a movie. I suppose in the old days you meet the guy and hang out, and go to a bar or whatever -- [laughs] -- but these days nobody has time for that, or the money, and so you do it some other way. And once I'd done all that stuff, I thought, This is the guy I want. I thought, He'd be terrific and I actually think he's a very underrated actor -- and it would be my pleasure to prove that by casting him.

I think a lot of people will share that opinion after seeing the film. Was he difficult to get? I mean, he's clearly up for it, based on his performance, but how do you go about getting Robert Pattinson?

Cronenberg:
Basically, I wrote the script before I went into production on A Dangerous Method, so Rob got the script about a year before we were really shooting. He's a very down to earth guy, and he was surprised that anybody would want him. [Laughs] It sounds odd, I know. Of course, he knows that his name adds value because of his star power, but he knew my movies, and he knew I was a serious director, and I think he was nervous, you know -- I think he was afraid, because he knew it was good. He immediately loved the script, especially because he thought it was very funny -- and the movie is funny; a lot of people maybe don't see that the first time around -- and the script was funny as well. But also he had seen enough of the now conventional stuff that he gets offered to see how different this was, and how it stood out -- and the quality of Don's writing, because the dialogue is really 100 per cent from the novel.

So I really had to convince him that I knew he was the right guy and that he could do it. And you'd be very surprised that a lot of actors, and very experienced ones, too -- not just young ones -- they worry that they don't want to wreck your movie. They don't want to be the bad thing in your movie that brings it down. They need to be convinced that they're good enough, especially if they know it's good. He said -- and I know this 'cause of interviews that we've done together, and I hear him saying these things -- that usually the dialogue is so bad that you, the actor, figure that you are responsible for trying to make it interesting, just by the way you spin it. But in this case the dialogue was great, and it's a completely reversed worry: "Am I good enough to get the best out of this?" So it took me about 10 days, and Rob said he was afraid to call me back because he's used to bullshitting directors, like all actors do -- but because I'd written the script he couldn't do that with me. [Laughs] You know, actors can really tie themselves in knots, when really he just should've said, "Yes, I'll do it."

Was there a point during shooting where he realized, "Hey, I am good enough for this," or did you have to encourage him constantly?

Cronenberg:
No, it's not like he's so insecure or anything like that. I never saw any of that on the set. I know he was constantly checking himself out and wondering if it was good, but I didn't feel that he needed an inordinate amount of that kind of encouragement, really. We just did it. He could tell. The best way for an actor to tell, ultimately, is that it wasn't long before we were just doing one or two takes of everything -- and that means the actor knows it's working.

Well it appears that you've started something of a trend now David, because Werner Herzog has just cast him in his next film.

Cronenberg:
Well that pleases me no end, and I think that obviously this is what Rob needs. They just need to see that he's really, really good and really, really subtle; and that he can do a lot of different stuff. Once you break through that barrier then I think there'll be no turning back.

(...)

He only seems to connect with people on a very primal, and often violent, level -- be it sex, murder... or getting a haircut. That seems to be the only way in which he can cut through all the other stuff. Is that him devolving, his desire for self-destruction?

Cronenberg:
Yeah, well I think that during the course of this day... and he does say, at the end, to the Paul Giamatti character [Benno Levin], "I think my life has changed during the course of this day" -- and it really has. He's going to get a haircut, but he's really also going to get a haircut from the barber who first cut his hair when he was a little kid, and used to cut his father's hair, and I think the suggestion is that he is trying to deconstruct his present life so that he can go back to his origins and perhaps reassemble it in a different way. But that doesn't quite work. It doesn't quite gel. I think when he's sitting in the barber's chair, certainly at the beginning, he is like a child. That's the lovely thing about Rob's performance, you really see the vulnerability; underneath it all there's this kind of childlike sweetness there for a moment or two. It's a very beautifully layered performance. But that's not working -- and the current Eric Packer takes over. He has to do extreme things to be able to feel anything and to be able to feel excitement and to feel alive. So that's what leads him to the end scene with Paul Giamatti.

There's a really magic shot in the film -- perhaps my favorite moment in his performance, also -- when he's stumbling down the alley with the gun, and he's looking for Paul Giamatti, and there's this particular look that comes over his face in that one moment and you can see his derangement. It was really wonderfully played.

Cronenberg:
Yeah, it was beautiful. It was the only take that Rob did exactly that on, and I thought, Well that's the take. It was unexpected. I mean, Rob was constantly surprising me, I have to tell you, with things like that. Lovely, lovely things that were spontaneous but dead-on.

Read the full interview at Rotten Tomatoes

RPLIFE

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2012

And More Praise From Cronenberg - Talks About How Rob Surprised Him

PATTINSONLIFENYSE081412%2B%252810%2529
Anne Thompson: Why did you cast "Twilight" star Robert Pattinson as your ice-cold 28-year-old Master of the Universe?

David Cronenberg:
Of course you begin with the basics. Is he the right age for the character? Does he feel convincing as a screen presence? Obviously you need someone with charisma to hold the audience for the entire movie. He's in every scene without exception, that's unusual. You want someone proven, who people want to watch, who will never be boring. I knew I would be crawling all over his face for the entire movie, so I wanted someone whose face is constantly changing, through all the angles. And he had to have chops for tricky dialogue. The art of casting is to intuit, to see from what he's done before that he could do this.

Was there a particular performance that gave you confidence?

I saw him in "Little Ashes" as the young Salvador Dali. He does a Spanish accent, he was not afraid to play a character of ambiguous sexuality and eccentricity. That probably of all the things I saw made me think he was the right guy.

Did you cast Pattinson with a certain likeability factor in mind, so that audiences would like him in spite of the character he is playing? Feel some vulnerablity?

I really don't care. I want the lead character in a movie to be interesting, fascinating and complex, but to be likeable to me is way down the list. It's not on the list, because it is a simplistic thing for the lead character to must be likable. He has to be watchable, that's the key, and fascinating, and likeable if it works for the project, fine, let him be likeable. If not I don't worry about it.

There are actors who do not want to play unlikeable characters, afraid it will damage their credibility as stars or effect them personally. Actors who are more interested in being actors than stars, like Viggo Mortensen, don't worry about being likeable or not on screen.

How did Pattinson surprise you?

He literally surprised me every day, as he read dialogue and interacted with the other actors. We were throwing different factors at him almost very day because of the stucture of the screenplay. He really has extended scenes. With one actor at the end, Paul Giamatti, he really let it fly, in that he didn't cling to a preconceived idea of what he should be doing. He reacted spontaneously to other actors as they surprised him and he surprised them. He was terrific and not predictable and dead-on accurate.

How many takes do you do?

One or two. The whole last shot was a long take with Giamatti, three minutes in that last 22-minute scene.

Read the full interview at Indiewire

RPLIFE

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2012

Denise Cronenberg Talks About Rob's Style in 'Cosmopolis' and Off-Camera

PLRPCOSMO3
Was the suit Robert Pattinson wore in the film custom designed or can mere civilians get their hands on it, too?

The suit Eric wears in the film is by Gucci: the Signoria, two-button notch lapel, in black. It is definitely available to mere civilians.

It’s a great suit. When you picked it, how did you know this was the suit?

Clothes make the man. The suit, the white shirt and slim black tie, the shoes and belt (all by Gucci) helped Rob become Eric. Once Rob put the clothes on, I could feel the character, and looking at him completely dressed in the fitting, I knew I had made the right choice. And it doesn’t hurt that he wears suits beautifully.

Twenty-five years of dressing actors also helped in the decision. I actually knew it was the right suit just looking at it even before the fitting with Rob. The cut and fabric were beautiful, which is why I chose it.

Men’s style editors love to talk about wearing a suit three or four different ways; Rob’s teaching a master class on that in the film. How does each evolution (fully suited, sans tie, just the trousers and shirt) relate to Eric’s progression over the day?

After reading the script and talking to the director, it was clear that Eric wore the suit well pressed and impeccably styled in the beginning. But as his life started to unravel, his clothes would too.

I always leave room for the actor to decide just how far his shirt should be unbuttoned, or how he feels about a tie or no tie, a jacket or no jacket—whatever would help him play the scene. We (David, Rob, and I) decided Eric should never be too much of a mess.

We would have tried to take the wardrobe home after shooting wrapped. Does that ever happen?

Yes, people do take, or try to take, clothing home during and after a film. Rob did take one of his suits home (we had seven of them), but I asked him if he would like one. He has so many suits personally that he really doesn’t need any more.

You did one hell of a job dressing Rob for the film. What advice would you give him, if any, for dressing for the red carpet?

It’s not difficult to dress Rob and make him look terrific. He wears suits so well, and Gucci fits him so well. My advice to him is to keep doing exactly what he has been doing—wearing Gucci. You can’t go wrong.

And how about for daily life?

Rob's off-camera look is very relaxed, and it’s his personal taste. There’s also an element of trying to hide, with something like a baseball cap, but really, it’s comfortable. That’s who he is.

Read the full interview at Gilt.com| Robert Pattinson’s Style, on sale now on Gilt MAN.

RPLIFE

CAT_IMG Posted on 19/8/2012, 04:13

Group:

'Anonymous

SATURDAY, AUGUST 18, 2012

Cronenberg talks about casting Rob and discusses his career

pattinsonlifecosmopolis4

Of course everybody wants to ask you about your star, who unfortunately has decided not to join us today. I guess he has his reasons. How and why did you wind up casting Robert Pattinson?

Well, it begins in a very pragmatic way. You get a list of 10 people from various producers and agents, and you start with the basics. How old is this character, and how old is the actor? This character is young, his age is given as 28. So that’s where you start. Does he feel like the right guy? Eric talks about working out a lot and is very physical, so you’re not going to cast someone who’s overweight. It’s simple stuff like that to begin with. And then you get to the pragmatics: How big is your budget and what kind of star power do you need to get the movie financed?

And here’s something people don’t think about, which is the passport of the actor. This is a Canada-France co-production, so you’re really restricted in the number of Americans you can use. There’s only one American in this movie, even though it’s set in New York, and that’s Paul. So the fact that Rob is British helps, because he can fit into the co-production thing. So that’s the long way round, and ultimately you get to: Does the guy have the chops and charisma to hold the movie together? Because this character is in every scene of the movie, without exception, and that’s very unusual, even for a star.

So I looked at everything I could find that Rob had done, including “Little Ashes,” where he plays the young Salvador Dali, and I thought, yeah, he could really do this. And I think he’s actually extraordinary. It’s ultimately intuition on my part, and casting is a huge part of directing that’s very invisible. Making-of documentaries don’t usually cover the casting process, but for a director it’s a hugely important part of your art. Juggling all those other balls that I was just talking about, and still coming up with the right guy.

I realize I’d be better off asking him that question, but do you think Rob is eager to change his image after “Twilight,” and push into doing different kinds of characters? After this role, and playing a sadistic sociopath in “Bel Ami,” it certainly looks that way.

Well, I know from doing interviews with him in Europe that he’s not really thinking in terms of his career. He gets offered a lot of stuff, and it’s usually very conventional, boring stuff. He’s always been interested in doing unusual stuff. He’ll tell you that when they started with “Twilight,” he thought it was kind of an indie film. Which it sort of was, you know! It had Catherine Hardwicke as the original director, and it was an unusual, off-kilter vampire story. Nobody knew that it would be the kind of mainstream success that it became.

In a way, “Cosmopolis” is a lot closer to his heart than “Twilight,” you know. When he read it, he told me that he was also struck by the dialogue. He thought it was incredibly fresh and new and surprising and engaging, and he immediately wanted to do it. He was afraid, because I think he still hasn’t come to terms with the fact that he’s actually an actor! He didn’t grow up thinking he wanted to be an actor. As with many actors, and not just young, inexperienced ones, he wasn’t sure he was good enough! He wasn’t sure he was the right guy, and he didn’t want to be the guy who would bring down this terrific project. So my job, at that point, was to convince him that he was indeed the right guy. That took me about 10 days, I suppose.

Are you telling me that you have actually watched the “Twilight” movies? That’s a bit hard to imagine.

Yeah — or no, I watched about one and a half of them. I’m interested in everything, frankly. I’m not a snob, you know. I really am curious about everything. If something’s hugely popular, it doesn’t automatically mean I’m going to look at it, but sometimes I’m curious as to why something is really popular, let’s say. In the case of “Twilight,” I was watching it for Rob, that was the thing. It’s not like – I mean, I hadn’t seen them before that.

Read Cronenberg's full interview at the source

RPLIFE

CAT_IMG Posted on 19/8/2012, 13:17

Libraia, Scrittrice e Promoter Culturale

Group:
Omnia Munda Mundis

'OFFLINE

Rob e David intervistati dal The Boston Globe

The Boston Globe: Entrambi avete detto che questo film è girato in ordine cronologico, e so che invece in molti film, le ultime scene sono sparato per prime. E’ stato un lusso – girare il film dall’inizio alla fine?

Cronenberg: Una delle cose più difficili che ho dovuto imparare come regista era esattamente questa. Voglio dire, improvvisamente si è costretti a girare la scena finale del film per prima. Ed è difficile per gli attori, perché non sanno chi sono ancora e magari girano la scena in cui muoiono. Quando io stesso sono stato attore, sono stato nel film di Clive Barker “Nightbreed”, e la prima cosa che abbiamo girato era il mio personaggio che veniva ucciso. E io ho detto una cosa tipica dell’ attore. Dissi: “Come faccio a sapere come morire quando non ho vissuto ancora?” Quindi è una specie di lusso. Penso che Rob possa parlare di questo.

Pattinson: Sono d’accordo. (Ride) Non credo di poter aggiungere altro a questo.

TBG: Voi siete stati molto sinceri nelle interviste per il fatto che non sapevate necessariamente e come questo romanzo si potesse tradurre in un film e avete detto cosa che cosa significava per voi. Avete una diversa interpretazione del testo, ora il film è finito ?

Pattinson: Beh, mi piace. Non credo che la confusione sia necessariamente una cosa negativa. Abbiamo fatto centinaia di interviste e adesso mi trovo ancora ad avere qualcosa di nuovo da dire.

Cronenberg: Queste dichiarazioni che abbiamo fatto, che erano molto sincere, possono essere interpretate nel senso che eravamo incapaci, incompetenti. Ma non del dutto. Sai, io non faccio storyboard, per esempio. Io non so davvero che cosa ho intenzione di fare in ogni set e su per ogni ripresa. E ‘tutto molto spontaneo e sul momento, anche quale lente da usare. Questo è quello di cui stiamo parlando. Non avevamo tutto tracciato. Ma eravamo fiduciosi nello script e ci siamo affidati al dialogo che è tutto 100 per cento di Don DeLillo e tratto dal romanzo direttamente. Sapevamo che se ci fossimo attenuti direttamente a questo. . . il film avrebbe avuto la sua coerenza.

TBG Voi avete appena suonato la campana di apertura al mercato azionario di New York . Come è stato? E cosa secondo voi potrebbe pensare di questo film se lo vedesse la gente che lavora lì?

Cronenberg: Per tutte le sale della borsa avevano questi monitor incorporati nelle pareti, mostravano tutte clip da Cosmopolis e tutte le persone che erano lì con noi erano incredibilmente entusiaste del film e volevano veramente vederlo. Ed erano incredibilmente cordiali e dolci, ed ho improvvisamente pensato: “Questo è il meraviglioso, volto amico del capitalismo. Non so perché l’ ho combattuto per così tanto tempo. Penso cdi avere intenzione di comperare un pò d’azioni ”[Pattinson ride.] E la borsa è marketing. Collegare la partenza del giorno con un prodotto (come un film) che viene commercializzato è stato un gioco da ragazzi. E il fatto che poteva essere un po ‘ironico che stessimo aprendo la borsa, io non credo li abbia sfiorati.

TBG Sig. Pattinson, cosa ne pensa lei della visita?

Pattinson: Sono così all’oscuro di tutto ciò a che fare con quel mondo. Ero un po ‘terrorizzato di rovinare tutto. E anche vedere l’entusiasmo della gente. Era così strano. Anche gli atteggiamenti delle persone lì. Sembra così estraneo a me. Voglio dire, ho incontrato i commercianti prima, ma nel proprio ambiente – tutti sono estremamente felici, che non è quello che mi aspettavo. Non sembra stressante affatto. Erano tutti entusiasti di vedere che stava per suonare il campanello di quella mattina. Avevano il team americano di ginnastica che lo chiudeva quel giorno. Sembra un posto davvero divertente in cui lavorare.

TBG: Voi due ragazzi sembra che vi piacciate l’un l’altro molto. siete stati così vicini durante questo tour pubblicitario. Stavo pensando, quando ho guardato le immagini della visita al mercato azionario, che in realtà vi assomigliate come parenti.

Cronenberg e Pattinson ridono

Cronenberg: Andiamo piuttosto d’accordo e possiamo indossare gli stessi vestiti. Erano vestiti di Gucci simili a quelli del film – il personaggio li indossa – e quindi, eravamo Pinco Pallo e Pallo Pinco in quel punto. ( un pò come dire “Bertoldo e Bertoldino”, due simili)

TBG: Cronenberg, dove è che ti diverti di più a promuovere i tuoi film? Non c’è bisogno di dire l’America.

Cronenberg: Ho una grande base di fan entusiasti in Francia. I miei primi film erano film horror e film di genere, e in Francia non hanno mai avuto alcun pregiudizio contro di loro, mentre in Nord America, ai vecchi tempi, quando ho iniziato soprattutto, vi era pregiudizio verso di loro. Non sono stati presi sul serio come buon cinema. Quindi suppongo di sentirmi più a suo agio, se vuoi stranamente , in Francia. L’uscita di una pellicola lì, il livello del discorso è molto intelligente, molto intellettuale, a volte umoristico, ma mi piace giocare a quel gioco lì.

TBG : Sig. Pattinson, come sei stato accolto dalla base dei fan di Cronenberg? Immagino che è strano vedere le fans di ”Twilight” insieme con le persone che amano i film di David Cronenberg.

Pattinson: Assolutamente. Siamo stati a Londra e abbiamo fatto un Q & A e c’erano due gruppi molto diversi
di persone che improvvisamente sono venute in contatto con l’altro per .. probabilmente la prima volta (penso). E, non lo so. . . i fans dei film dell’orrore di David . . . e le fans di “Twilight” che di solito sono di sesso femminile. . . potrebbero essere in realtà un.. buon abbinamento. Penso che non si fossero mai incontrati ma sarebbero degli strani e belli accoppiamenti . Quando si vede un ragazzo barbuto con i capelli lunghi, che assolutamente piangerà [per Cronenberg]. . . e poi una fan di “Twilight”, che piange per Twilight… potrebbero avere in realtà tutto l’aspetto di una coppia.

TBG: Sig. Pattinson, devo chiedere, in riferimento a tutti i talk-show dove sei ospite e dove ti fanno domande personali in questo momento: Sono sempre affascinato dalla capacità dell celebrità di scomparire solo nel corso di una controversia. Come si fa a fare questo? Esiste un sistema di tunnel? Dove si va a nascondere quando si è così visti?

Pattinson: C’è un mondo sotterraneo dove le celebrità vanno. Sono le uniche che hanno accesso ad esse. Una rete di borghi po ‘misteriosa. (Ridacchia.)

Fonte:RobertPattinsonMoms

Web Contacts  Top
*ladys74*
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/8/2012, 13:56

QUOTE (Lady Alexandra Borgia @ 19/8/2012, 14:17) 
(....)
TBG: Voi due ragazzi sembra che vi piacciate l’un l’altro molto. siete stati così vicini durante questo tour pubblicitario. Stavo pensando, quando ho guardato le immagini della visita al mercato azionario, che in realtà vi assomigliate come parenti.

Cronenberg e Pattinson ridono

Cronenberg: Andiamo piuttosto d’accordo e possiamo indossare gli stessi vestiti. Erano vestiti di Gucci simili a quelli del film – il personaggio li indossa – e quindi, eravamo Pinco Pallo e Pallo Pinco in quel punto. ( un pò come dire “Bertoldo e Bertoldino”, due simili)

Pattinson: Assolutamente. Siamo stati a Londra e abbiamo fatto un Q & A e c’erano due gruppi molto diversi
di persone che improvvisamente sono venute in contatto con l’altro per .. probabilmente la prima volta (penso). E, non lo so. . . i fans dei film dell’orrore di David . . . e le fans di “Twilight” che di solito sono di sesso femminile. . . potrebbero essere in realtà un.. buon abbinamento. Penso che non si fossero mai incontrati ma sarebbero degli strani e belli accoppiamenti . Quando si vede un ragazzo barbuto con i capelli lunghi, che assolutamente piangerà [per Cronenberg]. . . e poi una fan di “Twilight”, che piange per Twilight… potrebbero avere in realtà tutto l’aspetto di una coppia.

TBG: Sig. Pattinson, devo chiedere, in riferimento a tutti i talk-show dove sei ospite e dove ti fanno domande personali in questo momento: Sono sempre affascinato dalla capacità dell celebrità di scomparire solo nel corso di una controversia. Come si fa a fare questo? Esiste un sistema di tunnel? Dove si va a nascondere quando si è così visti?

Pattinson: C’è un mondo sotterraneo dove le celebrità vanno. Sono le uniche che hanno accesso ad esse. Una rete di borghi po ‘misteriosa. (Ridacchia.)[/color]

Fonte:RobertPattinsonMoms

ahhah mi piace la prima ristposta di Cronenberg..... sono troppo divertenti insieme.... trovo il loro affetto e stima reciproca SINCERA E VERA....

per l'ultima risposta da rob... bohh.. da una parte mi fa ridere... ma dall'altra parte la trovo molto attuale e triste...

Grazie Alex e Grazie Vero per tutto quello che postate

CAT_IMG Posted on 21/8/2012, 13:18

Group:

'Anonymous

MONDAY, AUGUST 20, 2012

New Cronenberg interview - talks about casting Rob, chemistry and more

Sans%2Btitre

As Eric, Pattinson is in every scene of the film, portraying a character unlike any he's tackled before. And in our exclusive interview in support of Cosmopolis' theatrical release by eONE Films, writer/director Cronenberg explained why Pattinson was right for the part of Eric and how he went about tackling the adaptation of DeLillo's novel.

In casting Robert Pattinson, it's kind of a double-edge sword, isn't it? You have his Twilight fans anxious to support him in whatever he chooses to do and then you have the people who dismiss him because he is 'that guy from Twilight'.

"Yeah. In a weird way, on the one hand of course I'm completely aware of all of those elements and also of course when you're making a movie that for an independent movie was relatively expensive, you have to have a leading character who is very charismatic and who can carry the weight and has the star quality and so on, because you're going to be looking at him. He's literally in every scene in the movie, and that's pretty unusual. I mean even in Tom Cruise movies, Tom is not in absolutely every scene of the movie - but Rob is. So he has to have that. But at the same time, you want to forget the movies, you know? You want to forget his movies and my movies because we're creating this completely new thing and you don't know what audience you're going to get. You can anticipate it, you can think about it, but really you don't know. So ultimately when you're making the movie you're saying, 'Okay, I'm here with these actors. They're wonderful actors, I cast them because they're terrific and they will bring great stuff to the script,' and then at that point you're just making a movie and you're not thinking about any other movie."

Needing an actor to carry the film by being in every scene, how did you figure out Robert Pattinson was the right guy to play Eric?

[Laughing] "Well, this is the magic of casting! I think as a director, it's part of your job. It's a really important part of your job. I think a lot of people don't even realize that the director's involved in casting. Some people say, 'Did you choose your actors?,' and I say, 'Yes. You're not a director if you don't.'"

"Of course, you're juggling many things, like I say. You're juggling, for example, their passports. This is a Canada / France co-production and we were limited to one American actor. Most people of course don't know that - nor should they. Paul Giamatti is the only American in this movie even though it takes place in New York City. So from that kind of aspect to just finding the right guy...of course he's got to be the right age, there are a lot of things that are just basic. And then after that, though, there are no rules. You as a director just have to intuit that this actor will be able to carry off this role."

"We often talk about chemistry, for example, in movies between actors, let's say. When I was doing A Dangerous Method, Keira Knightley and Michael Fassbender - how do I know they have chemistry together because I had never seen them in a movie together? They've never been in one; they've never met each other. I don't see them together until I'm actually directing them, so I have to be this kind of dating master who can anticipate that this couple will be good together. It's a strange kind of thing. So you give yourself credit when it works, and you have to berate yourself when somehow it hasn't worked. That's basically where you're left."

It strikes me with Cosmopolis that the chemistry actually needed to come between you and Robert more so than between Rob and any of his co-stars.

"There's truth in that too. That is the unspoken thing is the chemistry between the director and the actors is the key. And at a certain point I think Rob would...you know, he's a serious actor and he didn't want to be the one who was going to blow this movie. He was kind of thinking, 'Well, I'll be alone in that limo because I won't have one person who is always playing opposite me. It's really a one-man show with a lot of day players coming in.' And I said, 'No, you won't be alone because I'll be there. I'll be with you every moment.' And so that is a real element."

Do you think that you view the character of Eric the same way that author DeLillo did? Or do you think that you two don't necessarily agree on how an audience should look at him?

"I think we actually illuminate things for each other. I've been on the road doing publicity with Don in several countries and I think he was pretty intrigued by seeing what would happen. Because, after all, once you put Rob Pattinson in that role, that's a very specific thing. You've got a particular face and a particular voice and a body, and that's something that the novel can not have. That's one of the things that movies can do that novels can not do, and so it immediately shapes the character in a way that he wasn't shaped in the novel. So, there are differences, I think, but it's not a major split or divergence. It's just really shading and shaping things. It's just really hearing the dialogue spoken, which was something that when I read the novel, I thought, 'Yeah, I really want to hear this spoken by really great actors.' Just doing that immediately changes your reaction to the characters and to the words. So there is a difference, definitely."

Read the rest of the interview at the source

RPLIFE

CAT_IMG Posted on 24/8/2012, 02:25

Group:

'Anonymous

THURSDAY, AUGUST 23, 2012

David Cronenberg and Paul Giamatti Talk About Rob

David Cronenberg talks about Rob

pattinsonlifecosmopolis5

From Oregon Live (click to read the full interview)

Given the heavy New York atmosphere of the film, it’s something of a surprise that Cronenberg should have chosen the British actor Robert Pattinson for the lead role. Pattison is best known, of course, for the relatively featherweight demands of the “Twilight” films, which reveal little of the heavy, internal and intellectual stuff that “Cosmopolis” demands. After declaring that “casting is a black art: there’s no rule book to guide you,” Cronenberg explains that he watched some of Pattinson’s non-“Twilight” work, especially “Little Ashes,” in which he played the young Salvador Dalí, and felt he’d found his man. Still, he admits, there is, in all such matters, a leap of faith.

“It’s just intuiting that he can do the role,” he says. “Because you’re asking him here to do things he hasn’t done before. But I was convinced by the time that I had done all my work that he was the right guy. I knew he was good, and he surprised me by how good he was.”

From IFC(click to read the full interview)

IFC: You mentioned wanting to see great actors speak the dialogue, and the movie is filled with them. But I’m curious about Robert Pattinson, who’s still a young actor and doesn’t have nearly as much experience as some of the supporting cast, but has a massive following. When you have a project like this, do you do more tailoring of the script to fit his strengths, or more work with him to match his abilities and talents to the material?

CRONENBERG:
For all the actors, you don’t really know what you’re going to get. Except for some auditions that a few actors did for certain roles, I never heard the dialogue spoken until we were shooting. With Rob in particular, I never heard that particular dialogue spoken until we were shooting. You go into filming with confidence that you have the right guy, but you don’t know exactly what’s going to happen. There’s a very organic thing that goes on in “Cosmopolis” that’s very spontaneous, because until Robert’s sitting in the limo with the actual actor opposite him who he’s playing the scene with — and there are so many different actors who come in and out of that limo — he doesn’t know how he’s going to react, because he’s not acting in a vacuum. He’s reacting to the other actor. . . . For example, the very first scene we shot was in the limo with Jay Baruchel. Rob was shocked by how Jay was playing it, because he was playing it with so much emotion and vulnerability, and Rob had never anticipated that. So he had to react to that. That’s the excitement of the movie: you mix all of these things that are potent and good, but you don’t really know what you’re going to get from that.

IFC: It’s sort of like cooking…

CRONENBERG:
[Laughs] Yes, it is. It’s like cooking a meal you’ve never made before.

(...)

----- SPOILERS -----

IFC: On the subject of changes form the source material, I’m going to get into spoiler territory here for a moment and ask you about the end of the movie and how it differs from the book. The movie leaves things more uncertain than the book, it seems…

CRONENBERG:
It’s hard to discuss without spoilers, but it would’ve been very easy to put a gunshot on the soundtrack and you would know that Eric was murdered. And in the book you know that he’s murdered, or at least if you believe Benno, he’s been murdered — but that’s the thing, because Benno is not exactly a trustworthy narrator. In the book there is still some scope for uncertainty as to Eric’s fate, but as we were shooting that last scene, I loved that these two guys were frozen in that last moment — almost frozen in an eternity of uncertainty. They’re bound together. They’re locked together in this sort of archetypal moment. I thought the moment should be eternal.

IFC: I can picture you going, “And cut it right… there!”

CRONENBERG:
[Laughs] Basically, yeah. So it was more like that than a dramatic thing. It wasn’t like, “Oh, I can’t stand to have this character killed,” or “Rob’s fans won’t like it if I shoot Robert,” or anything like that. I wasn’t worry about that stuff. It was really spontaneous. As I mentioned, we could’ve easily made it clear that he’s killed, cutting to black with the sound of a gunshot.

----- END OF SPOILERS -----

Paul Giamatti talks about his scene with Rob

cosmopolis-paul-giamatti-robert-pattinson

From Indiewire (click to read the full interview)

How did you wrestle with the verbose dialogue and own it? You essentially talk in wordy, extended diatribes in your scene opposite Robert Pattinson.

Well, I mean it was nice dialogue to say. It’s eccentric, and it’s definitely got a rhythm. It was a bit of a trick to feel your way into it. My character, he’s got a very elaborate fantasy life. He’s got a very intense story playing out in his own head about the other guy and about himself and this relationship. So I think one of the ways it helped me to feel like I could bring the dialogue to life was to make sure that I was constructing this elaborate, emotional life behind all these words so I could connect them all up. And it was weird, the leaps and logic between the speeches -- all of a sudden somebody would start talking about something that seems completely unconnected. So I had to make all these connections, and once I could emotionally figure out what was going on, the words then came pretty easily.

"Something about his style as a filmmaker seems to fit well with the book." It’s odd dialogue, it seems very kind of bare. I don't know if it’s very complex and intellectual, but it actually comes to an emotional life very well, at least for me. And I think that guy is, as you say, in some ways the most sympathetic because he’s the most visibly emotionally engaged.

Was it difficult to act opposite Pattinson, whose character is beyond detached from any semblance of emotion? Or did his passivity fuel the scene?

It's like a therapy session in that you keep switching back and forth between, who’s the therapist and who’s the patient? And so yes, some of his passivity absolutely brought a lot of it to life for me.

How long did you and Robert have to shoot the scene?

I think it took us about two-and-a-half days, maybe? You know, it’s a long scene. I think it was nearly twenty pages long, which is a lot for a single scene. So they had set aside maybe four or five days, but it only took us two and a half.

From Film School Rejects(click to read the full interview)

The tone of Cosmopolis is this very straight-faced, serious type of wacky. How did Cronenberg describe the tone to you?

You know, he didn’t, in a lot of ways. I think he just trusted we’d get a sense of it. Even though the dialogue is very odd, you know what his sensibility is anyway, so you kind of know what the tone is. I did something I don’t normally do on a movie…I just came in at the end, after they shot most of the movie, and I asked David if I could watch the footage, because I wanted to see the tone of the movie and what Rob looked like, talked like, and moved like. I felt it was something I needed to see, because I’m playing a guy who always has a fantasy of him in his head. I did ask to see the footage for exactly what you just said: it’s an odd tone. I wanted to just watch some of it, so I could see how I could fit into it and, in some ways, veer off of it.

(...)

It is similar to a few of his previous film in how abstract the story can be at times. When you get a script this dense and full of symbolism, do you try to apply meaning to everything or do you just go with it?

In this instance, with this script, I read this whole script many, many times. I usually do that anyway, but, on this, it felt essential for me to read it a bunch of times. It wasn’t about just concentrating on my stuff, partially because it was so interesting. I just had such a good time reading it and thinking about it. Like you said, there’s a tonal thing, and I needed to have a sense of that in my head. I also feel like the character has a real awareness of Rob’s character, so I felt like I needed to know Rob’s character. Certainly, in my scenes, it all had to make crystal sense to me [Laughs].

RPLIFE

CAT_IMG Posted on 14/10/2012, 12:27

Group:

'Anonymous

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2012

David Cronenberg talks about Rob, Cosmopolis and fans

Robert-Pattinson-and-David-Cronenberg-UK-Press-Junket-Portrait-2012-cosmopolis-31264709-798-800
At first glance, Packer appears to be a soulless character. He initially exhibits little to no outward emotion, not while receiving updates about his dwindling finances, not during sex, not ever. That sense of detachment is enhanced by the limo, which is smooth-running, soundproof and bulletproof, with tinted windows that minimize Packer's view of outside events and prevent prying eyes from looking in at him.

"You can see his soul as the movie progresses, as he approaches his childhood," Cronenberg said, "because, really, we begin to realize that the barbershop represents his childhood. It's his childhood barbershop. It's where he used to live. It's where he came from.

"Eric wasn't born into money. I think you see Eric become more vulnerable and more childlike and naive, and when he's in the barber chair he becomes like himself as a child, before he'd erected this Eric character, this Master of the Universe guy. So you should gradually warm up to him as you realize how vulnerable and how wounded he is.

"It's why I cast Robert," Cronenberg added. "It's a very uncompromising performance. We don't go out of our way to make him more likable than he is, but you want to watch him. He's very charismatic, Rob."

"Cosmopolis" is Pattinson's show, and it's as far removed as it could be from the commercial gloss and sparkly vampires of the "Twilight" films in which Pattinson has starred as Edward Cullen. The actor has been in the news of late, owing to the demise of his relationship with "Twilight" co-star Kristen Stewart, but Cronenberg lauds his leading man for his often-overlooked, still largely untapped talents as an actor.

"Rob is in every scene of this movie," the filmmaker said, "and I needed a guy who could support that. His accent is spot-on - it's very much like Don DeLillo's accent. He brings a wry sense of humor, and he brings that strange emotionality that you feel from underneath because, as I say, it's not there from the beginning, because it's a journey in more ways than one.

"You have to see Eric evolve and, thanks to Rob, you do," Cronenberg said. "I think it's a spectacular performance, very nuanced and detailed."

Like everyone with a stake in "Cosmopolis," Cronenberg hopes that Pattinson's legions of "Twi-hard" fans will turn out en masse for "Cosmopolis." Based on the production of the film, he said, that might happen.

"The Twi-hards followed this movie hugely," Cronenberg said. "There were 20 to 30 sites devoted to 'Cosmopolis,' some of them really quite spectacular, professional and slick, and they were being done mostly by Twi-hards, who are mostly girls, and they were reading the book. They were reading the book and commenting on it, on these sites, before the movie was finished."

The director is clearly impressed.

"That was incredibly satisfying," he said. "They were loving the book and the idea that Rob was doing it, and they're supporting Rob's choice.

"I got a lot of props myself,"
Cronenberg added with a laugh, "because the Rob fans are rooting for him to show what he can do as an actor and, therefore, they loved me for giving him the chance.

"That was their attitude, though my attitude was that I felt lucky to have Rob."

Read Cronenberg's full interview at The Reading Eagle

RPLIFE

6 replies since 18/8/2012, 15:10   187 views